To reduce energy consumption with smart urban public lighting
To reduce public lighting costs and be part of sustainable development policies, cities and local authorities are developing programs to reinforce their commitments towards energy savings. The city of Lyon is expecting a reduction by four of its electricity consumption with an objective of 28 million kWh in 2020, and then 9 million by 2050.
Also known as the « City of Lights », the city of Lyon was looking for an energy saving solution to adapt in real-time the street light intensity to the real traffic during the night period. Main objective: to reduce the global electricity consumption.
The wireless system for vehicle presence detection provided by HIKOB has been installed to reduce in real-time energy consumption of public and urban lighting. HIKOB miniaturized and smart wireless magnetometer sensors deployed in some twenty streets of the 5th arrondissement of Lyon, detect vehicle movement and communicate vehicle detection data in real-time to the public lighting controller which adapts the light intensity depending on the real street traffic flow.
With the solution the municipality of Lyon was able to generate 30% to 50% of energy saving and thus reduce by 16,6% the public lighting consumption since 2000.
« I can say that HIKOB embedded wireless magnetometers are very simple to implement. It is very interesting for our department efficiency. »
« A vehicle presence detection system used for public lighting control is a very interesting lever in term of energy consumption reduction for a city such as Lyon. »
Wirelesse vehicle presence detection system
- +34 HIKOB WISECOW: wireless magneto-resistive sensor
- +15 HIKOB LION: wireless ultra low power mesh router
- +13 HIKOB GATEWAY LITE: bridge between HIKOB’s system and a controller or equipment on the field
- Serial communication bus & dry contact outputs for the integration with the public lighting controller
Simple, reliable and easy to implement
- Extremely reduced civil engineering operations, less than 10 minutes to install the HIKOB WISECOW embedded sensors
- Easy handling and installation by third party integrators and installers with the existing hardware and software infrastructure of the public lighting system
- Standardized and open interfaces for quicker integration